Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cool Designs for Multitouch Tables

A first post to talk about the design of the multitouch table I'm working on (I mean working on building it).

I wanted to have a multitouch screen that could be used to work. Not that I have work to do on a multitouch screen, but multitouch screens are for now just a gadget (large multitouch screens are, the iPhone or the iPad are arguably more than gadgets) and used because "they are fun". But someday the novelty will wear of and I hope that a real use for them will have been found then.

Anyway, work usage means no multitouch wall (like for example this famous one) because of the gorilla arm effect, nor multitouch coffee tables, because you don't want to bend over your table all day long.

So I was thinking of a drawing table, cause it is designed just for that: working on a surface for hours.

Multitouch drawing tables? It has been done before. Here are a few project that inspired me:
  • The WURSTable (doesn't Wurst mean sausage in German?), which is what I want to do, but not as big (I'm going for a 140cm x 90cm screen). I may steal the mirror placement.
WURSTable
  • there also was a LLP drafting table on the NUIGroup forums, but I can't find it anymore, so let's end with the demo that started all of this, Jeff Han's speech at TED (2005)


No comments:

Post a Comment