Friday, March 5, 2010

ECHE: specs


My Multitouch table, that for some reason I call ECHE, is for now mostly in my mind, but here are the specifications I am aiming at:

  • FTIR technology (see my previous post if you don't know what it is)
  • screen size: 140cm x 90cm, which is a 66" diagonal (only time I will ever use imperial units, but they are the standard for screen diagonals). This is counting the frame, so the actual image will be a few centimeters smaller
  • height: it will look like a drawing table, and the angle and the height will be adjustable, so you can use it standing or sitting in a chair
  • acrylic: Plexiglas XT, 8mm thick with polished edges, sold by plexiglas-shop.com
  • projector: I don't know, I liked the Acer S1200 because it's a short-throw, but I think a 1080p would be better. However I haven't find any short-throw 1080p projector, so I am still investigating the subject, I may use an HD projector and a mirror, or add customized lenses...
  • camera: I was thinking of the PS3 Eye, because it's the most used cam in the community, but it's mainly because it is cheap. Since I'm gonna have to pay for a good video projector, I could put the extra buck for a better camera, I don't know yet
  • projection surface: I have no idea for now
  • Compliant surface: not sure yet, but a teflon coating sounds good.

The estimated cost is (keep in mind I'm in France):

  • the acrylic sheet: 120€
  • the projector: around 800€
  • the frame: max 200€
  • the electronics: max 100€
  • plus every other things I can't price yet, and the hidden costs I will discover
for a total between 1,500€ and 2,000€, which is a big price, but it will be a big table. And I already have a buyer, so that's cool.

For now I'm working on a miniature prototype, to see if I can get the frame and the electronics right, and it's mostly about sawing and piercing aluminium, so I haven't any interesting photos yet. But stay tuned...

Now I'm gonna cross-post this on the NUI-Group forums, to say hello.

See-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment